Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Genesis 3

So we are back to Genesis. KFalk and I were discussing a verse the other night, and got confused on the translation/meaning, so I need input from people.

Genesis 3:16
To the woman he said, "I will surely multiply your pain in childbearing;in pain you shall bring forth children.
Your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you."

The word for apparently can be translated to against, at least that is what the bottom of my Bible said. This is so confusing to me.
Katie interpreted it as you will have a desire for your husband, and I thought of it as you will have the desire to rule over/be in control of your husband, but he will rule over you.
I don't know what the deal with this verse is.
I guess I've always thought women have this natural tendency to want to be in charge and control but God didn't give them that command. He gave this responsibility to men, and therefore, tension/strife is present.

Then there is also the idea on the other possible translation, for. As women, we always seem to be desiring a husband, and perhaps that is what this verse is talking about, that incessant desire.


Frankly I don't know. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. You are right in saying that Eve will want to rule over her husband. If you look in the very next chapter the same language is used. This is important in the Hebrew context. Genesis 4:7 is talking about Cain's sin. It says "Its desire is FOR you, but you must rule over it." The sin desire is FOR him, or in other words Cain's sin wants to overtake and rule over him. The hebrew language is drawing a parallel with these 2 verses.

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete